Wednesday, December 7, 2011

UWP: MARCELLO DI FRANCESCO



































My name is Marcello Di Francesco. I am from La Spezia (Italy), a small town near the Ligurian Sea,where I live and work as a shipping agent in the local port. My whole life has been tied to the sea and now I have developed
an unbreakable bond with it. During a trip to the Maldives in 2003, I found a passion for the underwater world and it waslove at first sight.
What I saw was so incredibly beautiful and the sensations I felt were so strong, that I soon realized that the “blue world” would be my new home. In recent years I have done more than 1000 dives around the World’s most beautiful seas:
Indonesia, Micronesia, Maldives, Philippines, Egypt, Sudan, Saudi Arabia, Mexico, Tanzania and Madagascar are just a few of the places I visited and photographed. My passion for travel and diving has not abated and I’m sure will be with me
for the rest of my life.
In 2008, I became a PADI instructor, but it was only in 2009 that I started to get closer to the world of underwater photography. I started using various types of point-and-shoot cameras (like the Canon Powershot A640 and Canon S90),
small and compact but with manual adjustments that allowed me to learn the basics of photography and improve my technique. Then I got a strobe and macro wet lens. Since I am fortunate to live by the coast, I often had opportunity to
practice my skills in the sea.
In 2010, I decided to move to the next level and bought my first DSLR, a Canon EOS 450D with an Italian housing (Nimar 3D), plus some different lenses and a couple of new strobes (Inon Z240) with lots of other accessories. I use different lenses
underwater, a Tokina 10-17mm fisheye for my wide angle photos, but for 90% of my dives I use a Canon 100mm or 60mm for my macro / super macro photos, because close-up photography and fish portraits are my favourites.
I am trying to develop an interest in wide angle photography too, but my wide angle skills are not yet as strong as my macro skills,but I am continuing to work to improve this technique.
Recently, I started to dedicate myself to the world of photography competitions and magazine publications and the results are giving me great satisfaction. 



MARCELLO DI FRANCESCO
Nato a La Spezia nel 1975, Agente Marittimo , Istruttore subacqueo specializzato nella Fotografia subacquea e grande appassionato di viaggi. In quasi 10 anni di attività ha collezionato circa 1000 immersioni in giro per i più bei paesi e fondali del mondo.
Indonesia, Micronesia, Maldive, Filippine, Egitto, Sudan, Arabia Saudita, Messico, Tanzania, Madagascar sono solo alcuni dei luoghi da lui visitati e fotografati durante questi anni.
Da circa tre anni ha fondato con un gruppo di amici la S.D.C. La Spezia Dive Club con i quali condivide la passione per questo entusiasmante sport, organizzando corsi subacquei ed escursioni tra i siti di immersione divisi tra Liguria e Toscana, immergendosi principalmente tra le acque del golfo dei Poeti a La Spezia, nel Parco Marino di Portofino, in quello delle 5 terre oppure tra i numerosi relitti che si trovano nella zona tra Savona, Genova e Sestri Levante.
Negli ultimi tempi ha iniziato a dedicarsi al mondo dei concorsi fotografici e alla collaborazione con alcune riviste del settore, ottenendo diversi premi e piazzamenti in alcune tra le maggiori manifestazioni di fotografia subacquea di livello Nazionale e Internazionale.
Da sempre utilizza attrezzature Canon, fin dall’inizio della sua carriera di fotografo con le compatte Canon Powershot a640 e S90 fino ad arrivare ad oggi alla Canon Eos 500D corredata dagli obbiettivi 60mm e 100mm per la fotografia macro e dal tokina 10-17 fisheye per la fotografia wide.
La custodia subacquea e di casa NIMAR e come flash utilizza due Inon Z240.